Welcome to my website. At age 5 I first spoke of wanting to become an “plant and animal researcher”. Hence, I put a lot of effort in pursuing that interest, leading to my current career as an active researcher in the field of evolutionary ecology. My current research interests focus on phenotypic plasticity of fish in response to predation. Moreover, I am interested in visual sensitivities of fish beyond wavelength regions perceivable by humans. In my research, I use the Western African river cichlid Pelvicachromis taeniatus and the fathead minnow Pimephales promelas as a model system. The icons below forward to my personal pages on various research-related online services.
- Salahinejad, A., Naderi, M., Attaran, A., Meuthen, D., Niyogi, S., Chivers D. P. (2020). Effects of chronic exposure to bisphenol-S on social behaviors in adult zebrafish: disruption of the neuropeptide signaling pathways in the brain. Environmental Pollution. Accepted.
- Thünken, T., Hesse, S., Meuthen, D. (2020). Increased levels of perceived competition decrease juvenile kin-shoaling preferences in a cichlid fish. American Naturalist. doi: 10.1086/707747
- Meuthen, D., Baldauf, S. A., Bakker, T. C. M., Thünken, T. (2019). High perceived predation risk during development affects mutual mate choice in a cichlid fish. Animal Behaviour 158:227-237.
- Meuthen, D., Ferrari, M. C. O., Lane, T., Chivers, D. P. (2019). Predation risk induces age- and sex-specific morphological plastic responses in the fathead minnow Pimephales promelas. Scientific Reports 9:15378.
- Meuthen, D., Bakker, T. C. M., Thünken, T. (2019). Predatory developmental environments shape loser behaviour in animal contests. Behaviour 156:1519-1532.
- Meuthen, D., Ferrari, M. C. O., Lane, T., Chivers, D. P. (2019). High background risk induces risk allocation rather than generalized neophobia in the fathead minnow. Behavioral Ecology 30:1416-1424.
- Meuthen, D., Ferrari, M. C. O., Lane, T., Chivers, D. P. (2019). Plasticity of boldness: high perceived risk eliminates a relationship between boldness and body size in fathead minnows. Animal Behaviour 147:25-32.
- Meuthen, D., Flege, P., Brandt, R. & Thünken, T. (2018). The location of damage-released alarm cues in a cichlid fish. Evolutionary Ecology Research 19:529-546.
- Meuthen, D., Baldauf, S. A., Bakker, T. C. M. & Thünken, T. (2018). Neglected patterns of variation in phenotypic plasticity: Age- and sex-specific antipredator plasticity in a cichlid fish. American Naturalist 191:475-490.
- Meuthen, D., Baldauf, S. A., Bakker, T. C. M. & Thünken, T. (2016). Predator-induced neophobia in juvenile cichlids. Oecologia 181:947-958.
- Meuthen, D., Baldauf, S. A., Bakker, T. C. M. & Thünken, T. (2016). Conspecific alarm cues affect interspecific aggression in cichlid fishes. Hydrobiologia 767:37-49.
- Meuthen, D., Baldauf S. A. & Thünken, T. (2014) Evolution of alarm cues: a test of the kin selection hypothesis. F1000 Research 1:27.
- Meuthen, D., Rick, I., Thünken, T., Bakker, T. C. M., &, Baldauf, S. A. (2012). Visual prey detection by near-infrared cues in a fish. Naturwissenschaften 99:1063-1066.
- Diel, A., Rodermann, E., Kienzle, H.-F., Meuthen, D. & Meuthen, I. (2012) Curative treatment in a patient with gastric cancer stage IV: a case report. F1000 Research 1:34
- Thünken, T., Meuthen, D., Bakker, T. C. M. & Baldauf, S. A. (2012). A sex-specific trade-off between mating preferences for genetic compatibility and body size in a cichlid fish with mutual mate choice. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 279:2959-2964.
- Meuthen, D., Baldauf, S. A., Bakker, T. C. M. & Thünken, T. (2011). Substrate-treated water: a method to enhance fish activity in laboratory experiments. Aquatic Biology 13:35-40.
- Feld, C., Spangenberger, H., Böhm, J., Meuthen, D., Meuthen, I. (2011). 76-year old patient with suspected but not confirmed “idiopathic myelofibrosis”. Der Internist 52:1346.